Alaska has been on my bucket list for quite some time now and I hope that I get to fulfill one of my biggest dreams some time within the next five years. Or maybe I will spend my 40th birthday in Alaska. Who knows! :D – I put together 10 reasons why you need to travel to Alaska.
10 reasons why Alaska is worth a visit
- Aurora borealis (northern lights) can be seen an average of 243 days a year in Fairbanks. The northern lights are produced by charged electrons and protons striking the earth’s upper atmosphere.
- Of the 20 highest peaks in the United States, 17 are in Alaska, including the highest peak in North America (20,320 ft. above sea level), Denali.
- Alaska contains more than 100 volcanoes and volcanic fields which have been active within the last two million years.
- There are more than 3,000 rivers and 3 million lakes in Alaska.
- Alaska has more coastline than the rest of the United States combined (more than 34,000 miles).
- Alaska is the only state to have coastlines on three different seas: the Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, and Bering Sea.
- The state sport of Alaska is dog mushing, which was once the primary mode of transportation in most of Alaska. The Iditarod dog sledding race is the state’s largest sporting event.
- More than half the world’s glaciers can be found Alaska.
- Giant vegetables are common in Alaska due to the extremely long days in summer. Alaska has grown a record cabbage weighing in at 94 pounds.
- Seeing Polar Bears in their natural environment. Alaskan Kodiak and Polar Bears can grow to 1,400 pounds and 11 feet tall. Moose can grow to 1,350 pounds with antlers spanning up to 6 feet wide.
Do you need more reasons? I so cannot wait to explore the state – whenever it may be.
photo credits: Pexels
source: Grayline Alaska